Chickpea curry, also known as chana masala, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine. It is made by cooking chickpeas in a spicy tomato-based sauce, along with a variety of spices such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric. The dish can be served with rice or naan bread, and is often garnished with cilantro.
Here is a simple recipe for making chickpea curry:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chickpeas and 2 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or naan bread.
Note: If you want to make it faster, you can also use canned chickpeas but be sure to rinse them before adding them to the pot.